Need Periodontal Work

I have been struggling with periodontal issues for about 20 years now. I was getting scalings regularly, but then lost my job and therefore have no insurance. About half of my teeth are really loose now and I am very scared of losing them without an alternative. I am an unemployed, 37 year old single mother of 4 (ages 18, 14, 11, and 5) and I need some help.

I am looking for some free assistance or at least a sliding scale fee. I know the end result of severe gum disease and I really don't want to loose my teeth without being able to fix them or get some false ones. Its now at the point where I am afraid to eat because I fear my teeth falling out. I don't want to be an embarrassment to my children by not having teeth, especially in the front. If there is anyone out there who could help me, I would be so ever grateful. We have not because we ask not. So I am asking, begging for help. Thank you in advance!!

Benton Harbor, MI

Kathleen's Reply: Tia, You should really look into the fees at a local dental school. For scalings and root planning, they usually offer rates based on each quadrant of the mouth (upper right, upper left, lower right, lower left), so you can concentrate on starting your cleaning in the area that needs it the most. At the school where I was employed, the rate was $45 for each quadrant, which was quite affordable compared to private fees that ran me over $300 when I had the procedure done with a private dentist. Also check out some of the clinic trials listed with the NIDCR, an organization that is always looking for patient volunteers with specific dental conditions to participate in research studies or clinical trial studies. Participants may receive free or low-cost dental treatment for their help. Wishing you the best!

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to People Who Need Dental Care.

RSS Feed   mini-logo for Twitter   mini-logo for Facebook

dental plans

Dental Care from